Monday, January 23, 2012

Promise Yourself (to be healthier)

I am not much for New Year's Resolutions (which usually fall to the wayside by March) and I am not one to diet (I just can't seem to do it), but I would like to be a little healthier.  After all the holidays with tons of sweets that I made - and ate, I certainly could use some help in that department.

In the summer, I was really busy - hiking, walking, go places, etc.  Then came the fall, and I rode bikes a ton with my kids.  Then it got colder, I stopped doing anything active at all.  Pile on a bunch of holiday goodies from  Halloween, all the way to my daughter's birthday and you are bound to weigh more!

So, I decided to make myself a promise. . . to be healthier.

I know myself that if I tried some extreme all or nothing scenerio, I would fail.  I am not going to forsake chocolate (bite your tongue for even asking), I am not going to start going to the gym after almost 38 years of not going, and I am not going to set myself up to fail.  So, I decided to give myself some realistic promises.

Promise 1 - Drink more water.  - I am horrible about getting my recommended daily allotment of water.  So, to start with baby steps, I am going to carry around a bottle of water.  Yes, only 1.  Once I can master 1 bottle of water, I will move up to more.

Promise 2 - Light Exercise 4 days a week - I plan to do either 30 minutes of walking or other light exercise at least 4 days of the week.

So far
I started this on Monday last week.  One week ago exactly.
Water - Not so great.  I think I averaged maybe half a bottle and some days, I only had a few swallows.  I definitely need to work on this one.
Exercise - Good.  I did my Wii Fit for 12 minutes on day 1, day 2; nothing, day 3; walked the creek (pushing a stroller) for 1 hour, day 4; walked to the high school (pushing stroller) for 2, 15 minute segments, day 5; walked the train museum for 2 hours (pushing stroller, stopping and started)

I wanted to put my promise here, so that I am more likely to stay up with it.  They say that it helps you to make your promise out loud or to someone else, so . . . do you want to join me to be more healthy?

Drop me a line

Here's to a healthier us soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and suggestions. Your message will post after approval from moderator