Saturday, March 26, 2011

Book Review - Stardust by Neil Gaiman

StardustStardust by Neil Gaiman

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


After finishing "Neverwhere", I decided to read some of Neil Gaiman's other titles. 

I have watched the movie starring Michelle Pfieffer, Claire Danes, Robert De Niro, and Charlie Cox and really enjoyed it.  I usually prefer to read the book that a movie is based on first.  I like to imagine my own characters first and then watch a movie.  This time, these characters were already set in my head.  In De Niro's case, he really made the role of the airship's captain.  It was hard to wrap my head around the book's captain, which was barely mentioned and nothing like the movie's character.  There were many things that they changed from the book, some of which, seemed like needless changes. 

I wished that the book were a little longer.  Time seemed to fast forward in the book.  Journeys of weeks and months took place in a single chapter.  It would of been nice to hear more about the Star's home and life.

I really like Neil's style.  He really does draw you in.  All that being said, I liked both of them.



View all my reviews

I finished 2 books in quick succession, so I posted them both together.  Next up is another Neil Gaiman title, "American Gods", which I am finding a little more slow going.  Also, on my 'to be read' pile is Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility".
To be honest, I have been spending my days planning my son's first birthday.  I am sure that I will have some great tips for you afterwards.

Talk to you soon,
Meagan

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and suggestions. Your message will post after approval from moderator