Friday, February 25, 2011

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo review

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1)The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Enough people have read this book, that it was made into a movie (twice), so I thought that I would read it.  I guess that I do not enjoy reading what "everyone" else likes.  I found it hard to get into to start with.  Also, as an American, the names were confusing at first.  Some names were very similar (Berger vs Birger) that made it hard to know who was who at first and things that I am sure are well known in the author's country meant nothing to me (aquavit- is some sort of alcohol?).

The title of the book leads you to believe that it will be about a girl with a dragon tattoo.  Her parts in the first half of the book are so sparse as to be a joke.  She is more important in the last half, but it still seems to be more about other things entirely. 

Also, it was very graphic and violent, which I have never been fond of.  I will never understand why people want to read in detail someone's torture, rape and/or death - this book has them in spades.

I got to the end finally and have no intention of reading his follow-up books.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and suggestions. Your message will post after approval from moderator